Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On the Seventeenth Day of Christmas...a Cup of Yum!


I had a very special relationship with my Grandma Bailey. It wasn’t rare that I’d be with her for slumber parties most weekends and loving every minute of it. We’d stay up late playing cards and eating a snack before bed. It was always hot cocoa and toast with butter in my little birdie cup (that I still have today).

Maybe it’s the memory of my grandma’s that makes me love hot cocoa so much or possibly just because I am a chocolate fanatic, regardless I have my own homemade recipe that my family begs me to make every winter, especially this time of year.

Our family likes to make a smorgasbord of “extras” to add in our cup of yum from mini marshmallows; crushed candy canes, whipped cream, cinnamon sticks, and chocolate chips.

Go ahead, immerse your taste buds in this little bit of warm heaven, the Kempiak Party of Five style!

Kymberly's Decadent Hot Cocoa

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup hot water
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 cups milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix cocoa, sugar, hot water, and salt in a saucepan. Over medium heat, stir constantly until boiling. Cook, stirring constantly for one minute. Stir in the milk. Heat, don't boil! Remove from the heat and add vanilla, blend well and serve.

1 comment:

The Mrs. said...

it makes my mouth water just thinking about it!!!