Thursday, December 11, 2008

On the Eleventh Day of Christmas


My dad passed down a tradition from his childhood to me that is so much fun. We take oranges and stick a candy cane though the rind into the juicy orange’s center. Next, you suck on the candy cane as if it’s a straw. In fact, the acid from the orange creates a hole in the candy cane, in essence transforming it into a straw. The yummy peppermint orange flavor is so great!



Today we read the heartwarming book, Christmas Oranges to go along with the tradition activity. In addition to sucking the juice out of the candy cane, we also ate orange rolls and planned out our donation to the local orphanage (relates to the story). So…a few days after Christmas, once things settle down a bit, we’ll head to the local orphanage with a request they’ve made, gift cards for local fast food restaurants and batteries for all the toys they receive for Christmas from sponsors. I can’t wait. Between the money our Brownie troop and our family has put forward, they’ll have a nice stash.


Merry Christmas. Isn’t this a great month?

1 comment:

Linda said...

Dear Kempiak family,

I have a Google Alert on the phrase Christmas Oranges so every time those two words appear in an internet posting, I receive an email with a link to the posting. Usually it's a reference to the citrus but sometimes it's about our book. Recently I received a posting with a link to your blog in it.

I'm intrigued with the candy canes and oranges trick. I've got to try that!

You have a very cute family. I love the pictures you've included. Also, many of the songs you're playing are favorites of mine, "When Love Came Down" and " "Welcome to Our World" to name a couple.

Thank you for the compliment about "Christmas Oranges." That was very nice of you.

I hope 2009 is a wonderful year for your family!

Sincerely,
Linda Bethers
"Christmas Oranges"