Monday, December 1, 2008

He Keeps Us Laughing

We are continually working on proper table manners in our home from chewing with our mouths closed; no elbows on the table, using utensils vs. fingers, sitting properly in our chairs, using our napkins, etc. and have found some good little techniques that have helped solve many issues. One rule of thumb though is when poor manners do show up at the table, its Jon or I who point them out in a “secretive, quiet way” (with a code you can say) instead of a sibling “tattling”. This way there isn’t shame or embarrassment (hopefully).

Recently, while eating dinner, Owen was very quick to notice his brother Nathan with a minor infraction and quickly brought it to everybody’s attention by gasping loudly, pointing his finger in his brother’s direction, and reporting back in a “know it all” style what exactly it was that was needing correction. As most moms would, I chimed in and used it as a teaching opportunity for our little Owen Jon using Matthew 7:3-5 as my basis, “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?” My words must have sounded like this to Owen, “Blah Blah, blah,” I could tell by his blank look and still sturdy pointing finger and squinting eyes. So then, I though I’d try another way,
“Owen how many fingers are pointing at Nathan?”

Owen replies, “One”

“Yes, sweetie. Now look at the other fingers on your hand. How many are pointing in your direction?” I asked.

You then see my 3 ½ year-old concentrating at the other fingers on that hand and whispering his way to a conclusion. He then proudly boasts of his findings,“Three mommy!”

“Yes, Owen you are right. Good job! Is three bigger or smaller than one?”

“Bigger!” he boasts.

“Yes. So that means you are probably guilty of more things than Nathan honey.”

Seconds go by and it’s silent (but Owen’s finger is still pointing). Then, the image I don’t think I’ll ever forget! Owen, in a huge jerk of his hands, stops his one finger from pointing at Nathan (Alajuela right?) then proudly flashes Nathan 5 ever-so-powerful fingers, all at once, spread eagle!

Okay, who in the world could keep a straight face then? Surely not anyone at our table. The Kempiak Party of Five was hysterical! And Owen really didn’t know why but joined in, eventually, in the laughs. Awe, such innocent (logical) thinking!

1 comment:

Debbie Bower said...

This story still cracks me up! I love it!!!