Saturday, May 17, 2008

Our Small Group


Just this year, Jon and I were led by the Spirit to leave our Bible study small group (same one for 9 years) that we love so dearly to go to a new one, just a mile away (that included our children each week…bonus!). We knew two of the families and they eagerly invited us and the unfamiliar faces made us feel welcome, right away. This semester we studied 2 Peter. Although having read it several times, I never studied it, verse by verse through the end resulting in deep dialog with others. I learned so much and grew from the time spent looking and applying it deeper.

One of my favorite passages of study was 2 Peter 1:5-7;
“Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.”


What hit me was, through my gift of salvation, with God’s help, I must daily be making an effort towards this list of virtues to build my faith and remain a healthy and productive follower of Christ. All of these are equally important and build on one another, like a ladder you might say. I had to ask myself (and continue to), am I really making an attempt day after day? By looking at my overflowing to-do list and the things I spend my time on, are these attempts evident or am I consumed with "the things of the world"? It’s something in front of me now.

I could go on for a long time on all the other things I learned but I’ll leave that for a face to face discussion.

Another thing I really wanted to enter here onto our blog was how much I loved being in this small group and how sad I am that it has had to “end”. Our leaders, Scott and Ann Malm have been led to open a new Bible-based church, San Tan Bible Church, and now their efforts have to focus there, rightfully so. Some couples are following and some are “staying” at East Valley Bible Church. It’s exciting to see how God is using everyone to further His kingdom and to grow our faith. Who knows what next semester brings and what new faces and new study we’ll do. I’m comforted knowing God already knows and He’s picked out the perfect place for us to be.

Jason and Paige Addink, Alan and Sheri Finlayson, David and Christine Gray, James and Ginger Lanphere, Scott and Ann Malm, and Ted and Andrea Tyler, our Party of Five loves you all and thanks you for being a part of our lives. Thank you for praying for us, for being our friends, for holding us accountable for what we need to do, and for opening yourselves up to us. Although our group is not together anymore, we are all part of one special family and nothing can change that!

Lauren…our sweet babysitter for all 18 kids, THANK YOU! You really are the best. You are so sweet, so positive, and so fun! Here’s a message from Baylee, Nathan, and Owen… “Hi Lauren, you are nice. You always made us feel good. Thank you for taking care of us and for playing and teaching us!”

(For anyone interested in studying 2 Peter, you can go to our church website and download the study to use. Go to "study Guides" then to "bible books" you'll have a lot to choose from.)

No comments: