Sunday, May 25, 2008

Congratulations Class of 2008!


My seventh class, whom I taught as fourth graders, graduated high school on Thursday night. Of course, like all six other years (and for at least three more to come), I was present for the whole thing (with family in tote). I wouldn’t miss it for the world!

This year, things were much different weather wise. It was pouring down rain (and I mean pouring) and 51 degrees (record breaking temperatures in over 100 years)! This didn’t stop the plans though. It was still done outdoors (I know…crazy, but with the norm of 112 outdoors this time of year, that is crazy too!) And sadly, the pictures don’t do it justice. What a look, to scan the field with over 700 graduates in cap and gown, holding umbrellas and then looking at all the stands to see the same from the onlookers.
The ceremony went as planned, all the speeches, songs, etc (which were not “sheltered from the conditions”). Nobody missed a beat even as the wind picked up and the people from the stands kept shouting… “Just say the names!” Then, once it was time for the “kids” to get their diplomas, all the umbrellas from the soon to be graduates were set aside and they stood there, taking it all. It kind of made me chuckle thinking about these “young adults” getting ready to hit the real world, with the realities of life coming down on them, hitting them in all directions (like the rain). Life is what you make out of it! These graduates were troopers and they’ll do just fine out there in the world! I am so very proud of each one!

Sadly, because of the weather, once the tassels were moved to the other side and the caps flew in the air, I was only able to track down two of my students. Even if it was “only one” it would have been worth it! Megan and Tony, it was so neat to see you. Neither of you needed to thank me, I needed to thank you! You both have always had a very special place in my heart and you still do!

(On a side note, I want to thank Jon, Baylee, Nathan, and Owen for enduring the night. Many times I said, “Let’s just go,” but you didn’t budge because you knew how very special of an event this was for me.” I love you all!)

(Scroll down to see the graduate photos I've gotten so far. Wow are they all beautiful!)

(Caiti, far left/standing in class, wearing a vest)



(Krista, pretty gal in the back row just left of the exit sign)



(Kathleen, pretty blond under the edit sign)



(Aubrey, third row two in from me)



(Megan, first in chair in a white tshirt...left side)




(-> Aaron on his knees, far right

(Megan K. standing in the third row, wearing white...right in the center of the photo)


(Tony, the cutie right next to me, second to last row)

No comments: