Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Need for Prayer, In Memory of...


Music has always been a form of ministry to my soul, no matter what the occasion or mood. I use it when I’m silly, happy, celebrating, sad, and even grieving. One of my favorite artists that has been around in my repertoire since I became a Believer in junior high is Steven Curtis Chapman. He’s an amazing song writer and singer (his latest, “Dance with Cinderella”). News came today that has brought me to tears many, many times and also that has caused me to stop and hold my children more often and a little longer while praying. For those who don’t know the tragic news (link you should check out...cute videos of little girl with daddy), Steven Curtis Chapman and his wife Mary Beth have lost their youngest daughter Maria Sue in a tragic car accident. At five years old, Maria Sue was playing in her driveway when her older brother pulled in with an SUV, unaware of his sister. Wednesday was a busy day of celebrating for their family and now…it goes down as a horrific one. I just ache for them. I pray that the peace that passes all understanding will fill their lives. God numbers our days, not man!

The Bible promises in Psalm 34, "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

Psalms 61:1-4 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings.

Here on the blog, I’m listing two songs written by Steven himself. Of course when these were written, his mind was not aware of the heartbreak he’d discover. I’m sure these lyrics would still be written today by him.

(Hiding Place by Steven Curtis Chapman)

"In the distance I can see the storm clouds coming my way, and I need to find a shelter before it starts to rain. So, I turn and run to You, Lord; You're the only place to go, where unfailing love surrounds me when I need it most.

You're my hiding place; safe in Your embrace, I'm protected from the storm that rages. When the waters rise, and I run to hide, Lord, in You I find my hiding place.

I'm not asking You to take away my troubles, Lord; 'cause it's through the stormy weather I learn to trust you more. And, I thank you for the promise I have come to know, Your unfailing love surrounds me when I need it most.

You're my hiding place; safe in Your embrace, I'm protected from the storm that rages. When the waters rise, and I run to hide, Lord, in You I find my hiding place.

So let Your people seek You while You may be found, 'cause You're our only refuge when the rain comes pouring down."


(With Hope by Steven Curtis Chapman)

“This is not at all how we thought it was supposed to be
We had so many plans for you we had so many dreams
And now you've gone away and left us with the memories of your smile
And nothing we can say and nothing we can do
Can take away the pain the pain of losing you, but ...

We can cry with hope we can say goodbye with hope
'Cause we know our goodbye is not the end, oh no
And we can grieve with hope 'cause we believe with hope
(There's a place by God's grace)
There's a place where we'll see your face again, we'll see your face again

And never have I known anything so hard to understand
And never have I questioned more the wisdom of God's plan
But through the cloud of tears I see the Father's smile and say well done
And I imagine you where you wanted most to be
Seeing all your dreams come true 'cause now you're home
And now you're free, and ...

We have this hope as an anchor 'cause we believe that everything
God promised us is true, so ...

We wait with hope and we ache with hope
We hold on with hope we let go with hope”



Aren’t these so beautifully said?!

(Please join me in prayer for this family in the midst of the storm. Feel free to leave those comments, prayers, and scripture verses on this post in the comment section. Thank you.)

Mail can be sent to them at: PO Box 150156 Nashville, TN 37215.

1 comment:

Denise said...

This is so sad. My friend from North Carolina first told me! We will be praying for this family and remembering that our time on this earth is limited. We need to understand it is all part of our precious Saviors plan.