Thursday, July 17, 2008

Sneaky Chef

In the constant pursuit to healthy eating, I had an idea that I just had to try out on my kids. In our home, we love to have fresh smoothies and slushies, handmade. It’s almost a daily staple in our home, especially when the temperatures are scorching outside. Well, last week, instead of having the kids assist me, I made up some new concoctions once the kids went to bed. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the kids to help, however I had to be sneaky because of my new “Special” green ingredient. Seeing spinach in their drinks would give them an automatic, “I don’t like it” statement, so keeping them ignorant for the time being was the best I thought. I made my drinks with the same ingredients as usual, this time adding 1 cup of fresh spinach puree and they were completely clueless. Watching them “down” their drinks just makes me smile, especially knowing that I’ve just added another serving of vegetables and folic acid in their precious bodies! Now my mind is racing on other ways I can slip more vegetables in my pile of recipes.

This Slushy recipe had:
2 cups strawberries
1 cup peaches
1 cup water
5 drops Stevia
1 cup spinach

I froze for several hours. An hour before serving it to the kids, I pulled it out so it could soften a bit. Then the kids spoon fed it to themselves for a nice refreshing morning or mid day treat.

(I’ve also done similar drinks smoothie style…yogurt, blueberries, raspberries, banana, water, and spinach)

2 comments:

Lori said...

You need to get the book "Decepitevely Delicious" by Jessica Seinfield. It is full of recipes that have things snuck into them that kids will never notice. It's exactly what you are looking for.
Lori

Rachel Olimb said...

Do you happen to read "Heavenly Homemakers" blog? I see a lot of similarities in your blogs and I'm wondering if you're a fellow visitor? If not, you might want to check her blog out, I think you would enjoy it :).