Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Gratituesday-the Gift of Prayer and Changed Lives


Although today is a hard day, I have much to be grateful for- even under the same circumstances I am saddened about!

"Be joyful always. Pray continually. Give Thanks in All circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

At the tail end of our drive home last night from our vacation in Greer, we decided to stop at a local supermarket to grab a few essentials to get us by for the next day or so. As I closed the door to the van, a homeless man approached me asking for any spare change I might have so he could eat. I declined passing money over to him but quickly offered to buy him dinner if he’d like. He was overjoyed and thankful. When I asked what he wanted, he told me, “Water and a sandwich would do.” Needless to say, just those two simple things wouldn’t “do” for me. I went around the store grabbing some other things I thought he’d like and need (Chapstick, Vitamin water, fruit, veggies, etc.), being sensitive to the fact that he didn’t have a place to store it all. I was so honored to serve this stranger his new belongings. Tearfully he thanked me and said, “God bless you!”

I was too choked up to tell him my whole heart, although I did tell him he was loved by God and that it was God that blessed him that night. Then I went to the van, closed the door, and wept. Let me explain. My brother too was a homeless man for over 6 years of his life. Although he was deeply loved by his family, this was the lifestyle he chose for a time being, due to drug addiction and shame. All those years while Johnny was “out there” I would pray continually that someone would “be a Jesus” to him (a blessing). I prayed that the people he asked to feed him, knew Christ and showed that to him.

Skip forward to the present time, the anniversary of Johnny’s death. Coming down from the mountain, I was silently praying, pleading with God to help me with my emotions and showing me what I can do this week to honor my brother and keep his memory alive. Then wham! Out of nowhere, this beautiful homeless man walks up to me!

So today, I have much to be grateful for, don’t you think? Just in this example, I am thankful:
-for the power of prayer
-that God hears and answers our prayers
-for the fact that I have a sensitive heart towards homeless people due to my brother’s past circumstances and that I didn’t judge or look down on this stranger
-that I had the means to buy him food and remind/tell him of God’s love
-that God can use ME!
-that God is in control of all things and has the power to change lives (like my brothers…from being addicted and homeless to coming to know Christ in a personal way and turning his life over to him)

Please pray with me for this man too. Pray he can learn and love God and lean on Him to have a changed life. Pray for his protection in the meantime and that others will be used by God to show this man love in practical ways with no strings attached.

So what are you grateful for today…this Gratituesday?

1 comment:

Happi said...

I am thankful for your wonderful words today! It's such a wonderful thing to remember your brother by serving that man. You were Jesus to him and he'll not forget it, I'm sure. I'm praying that the Lord will comfort you...I totally understand the grief of missing a loved one. We love you all and are sending hugs from the midwest. : )