Saturday, July 26, 2008

Kit Kittredge: An American Girl- Movie Review


I am picky…no let’s say discerning, about what I allow my kids to watch on television or by movie. There are a lot of movies that my kids have not seen that are “popular” and then there are movies that my kids have seen which I prefer that they hadn’t (which I conclude as a poor parenting moment, we all have them, right?).

A few weeks past, I took half of my Brownie troop to see the new movie Kit Kittredge: An American Girl in the theater. Prior to inviting the gals, I checked out the common sense online review before I went and was fairly confident that this rated ‘G’ movie would be okay for the girls to see, but knowing how (picky) discerning I can be, I still had my “mommy,” now “troop leader” filter on. There's a lot of pressure when you're in charge of filling precious girl's minds, especially those precious minds that are not mine!

I thought it was fabulous! Absolutely fabulous!


It was one of the best movies I've seen in a while, adult or kid style! The message was simply fabulous and not sensationalized, Hollywood style (too much). It was a sincere, believable, heart touching film with a great cast of fine actors and actresses and thought-provoking storyline we as a family can’t stop talking about. It's openend up so many wonderful discussions, things like:
• the value of a strong work ethic
• our attitude toward those who are less fortunate than us
• where we place our trust
• the importance of keeping your word
• the uncertainty of riches
• stealing...is it ever acceptable?
• lying...is it ever okay?
• believing people to be innocent until proven guilty
• persistence
• not judging people based on outward appearances or external circumstances
• generosity
• resisting peer pressure
• being willing to sacrifice
• humility
• seeking forgiveness and offering grace

I hope this movie does real well and more films like this are put into the theater! It's one the Kempiak Party of Five will purchase and have on our shelves to view over and over again.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I took my goddaughter to see this when she was here and thought the same thing. It was fabulous!