Tuesday, August 12, 2008

There's More to This Life


Stephen Curtis Chapman and his wife Mary Beth were interviewed on Good Morning America last week, hosted by Robin Roberts. They spoke out for the first time about their loss of Maria, their five year old daughter, who was tragically killed in a driveway accident earlier this year, with her brother at the wheel. Five of the seven family members explained how they are dealing with their pain and continuing to live.

From watching the interview (on YouTube…since we never have the tv on, nor have a clear reception), I saw an unwavering love in their home. The realness of “loss”, and the hope and faith of a family shined! My favorite part of the whole interview, which brought tears to my eyes was when Stephen tells the audience that as his son was rolled up in a ball in the yard, uncontrollably shaken at the accident from “his hands”, Stephen yelled out to him just before driving away to the hospital, “Will Franklin, your father loves you!” What beautiful words. Isn’t it amazing how the tongue can build up a person? I wonder what my words would have said at that very moment if it was my family involved.

“The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart, his mouth speaks.” Luke 6:45

(After G.M.A.’s interview with the Chapman family, they also appeared on Larry King. What opposite styles…Robin who had empathy seemed to understand what they were sharing which led her questions and Larry who couldn’t even keep Maria’s name straight, nor showed any sympathy, didn’t “get it” at all, for this reason his questions and responses after their explanations seemed “cold”. The only “plus” to the Larry King show was that he had more “time” for the interview so you got to hear more from this amazing family.)

I am grateful that no matter what I do on this earth and endure, my Father in Heaven loves me. Do you know that feeling? I pray you do.


Let's continue to pray for these precious servants of God as they deal with the grief of losing a daughter and a sister. Their incredible faith and hope is such an inspiration to me!

No comments: