Friday, October 24, 2008

It's Been 20 Years...Hard to Believe!


I know, look at my 80’s hair! The bigger the better, baby! I worked hard at getting this hairdo to cooperate each morning, especially with how very straight my natural hair is. So, the timer in the bathroom would go off at 4:30AM…2 sets of hot benders, 1 set of hot rollers, and a curling iron. I’d wake 20 minutes later to go through the regime then add the final, most crucial ingredient…mega hairspray!

Why am I posting this today? Am I a glutton for some embarrassment and ready for some smart-alecky comments back or do I just want to give all my faithful “readers” something to laugh about? No, tomorrow would have been my 20 year high school reunion from Westlake High School (in Westlake Village, CA). I couldn’t get Jon to take me and going alone didn’t seem “okay” with me. I would have totally enjoyed myself, I know. I loved that school and so many people I attended with. I just wonder if we would have recognized each other without the “hair”.

I looked up some things that made the news in 1988 and the “popular things” that surrounded us…here’s a “flashback down memory lane”…

What things cost in 1988:
Average Cost of new house $91,600.00
Average Income per year $24,450.00
Average Price for new car $10,4000.00
1 gallon of gas 91 cents
Movie Ticket $3.50
US Postage Stamp 24 cents
Dozen Eggs 65 cents

Most Popular Television Shows
1. The Cosby Show (NBC)
2. A Different World (NBC)
3. Cheers (NBC)
4. The Golden Girls (NBC)
5. Growing Pains (ABC)
6. Who’s the Boss? (ABC)
7. Night Court (NBC)
8. 60 Minutes (CBS)
9. Murder, She Wrote (CBS)
10. Alf (NBC)

Popular Movies
1. Beetlejuice
2. Big (Thought it was funny)
3. Bull Durham
4. Cocktail
5. Colors
6. Coming to America
7. Crocodile Dundee II
8. Die Hard
9. A Fish Called Wanda
10. Good Morning, Vietnam (Saw that at a drive in movie theater with a boy!)

Popular Music
1. "So Emotional” … Whitney Houston (I can't get that song out of my head now!)
2. "Got My Mind Set on You” … George Harrison
3. "The Way You Make Me Feel” … Michael Jackson (was obsessed with this guy!)
4. "Need You Tonight” … INXS
5. "Could’ve Been” … Tiffany (Boy could I sing this song full of heart!)
6. "Season Change” … Expose
7. "Father Figure” … George Michael
8. "Never Gonna Give You Up” … Rick Astley (Annoying )
9. "Man In the Mirror” … Michael Jackson
10. "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car” … Billy Ocean

1988 News
The Hubble Space Telescope Goes into operation to explore deep space.
A bomb exploded on Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie in Scotland on December 21st .
Prozac was sold for the first time as an anti-depressant.

What do you remember about the 80's? All I know is, I sure want to throw an 80's adult party so I can put my hair back up and wear my LA Gears that I've saved just for the occasion!

And I wonder, will perms ever come back in? Deep down, I sure hope so!

1 comment:

Debbie Bower said...

LOVE THIS POST! You look exactly the same (minus the hair, of course!)

Don't let Aaron read the "annoying" comment next to Rick Astley... he loves that song :)

I am all over the 80's party: I'll be there with my double polo shirts with the collars up, suspenders around my butt, tapered roll at my ankle (safety pins included), and alternating, double socks to match my polo shirts!

This post took some serious nerve... thanks for doing it... it's hilarious!!!