Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gratituesday-Todd


His name is Todd. I heard of him often through the past four or so years but only met him a handful of times, if even that. He was my brother’s friend. They met in a men’s center, Crossroads, when both were working on their sobriety. My brother came along side Todd and befriended and mentored him. Their friendship was always beautiful.

He was my brother’s only local friend his last stent here. They went to dinner and lunch, spoke of God and understood each other. It was a special relationship to watch.

Todd was broken when we made the call to him that my brother had died. He went to the funeral but didn’t come talk to us. Weeks went by, months, and then one day I had a knock on my door. It was Todd. He asked to come in. We spent the time somber, just reflecting on my brother, telling stories. Once our conversation became silent he asked me if he could “look at my pool,” the very place my brother hung out when they spoke by phone. I agreed so we walked in the backyard. He then proceeded to ask me if he could give us a gift, in honor of my brother and keeping his memory alive. Todd wanted to be our “pool guy” (his profession) and come weekly to care for our pool.

It’s been over a year now and I see Todd weekly as he quietly comes and goes, cleaning our pool and keeping it under some great TLC. Never has there been an exchange of money, just a hug and a short “catch up” talk.

Today I was reminded of what a gift it’s been. Not only having my pool clean but being in a life of a person that has a deep heart and that is succeeding beautifully with Christ’s power, in keeping sober…drug free.

Seeing Todd outside my window was my “sign”…he’s my Gratituesday this week. I am grateful for Todd!

1 comment:

mama bird said...

Oh Kymberly,
What a blessing to read about Todd and the ministry God is doing through this act of service. I join you in giving thanks to our God...our redeemer and rock!
Love,
erica