Sunday, March 23, 2008

Resurrection Tree


We've enjoyed two weeks of Spring Break...it's been needed in a BIG way! Today, in between four separate playdates, I've gone through our home to wipe off the dust collected in that time, vacuumed, mopped, and much more which were all things I set aside so I could really just focus on playing and enjoying my kids. I'm grateful to have them with me 24/7 and also for a husband who's been willing to look the other way to the condition of the home.

From my cleaning "frenzy", I decided it was time to pack up our Easter decorations as well, one of which was this Resurrection Tree. I use this wooden tree structure throughout the year for many reasons, this Easter holiday I was inspired to create it to tell the story of Jesus' last days and use it as a devotional study with my children. It's been really neat to hear them be able to recall and connect what each "symbol" means and I know I'll do it again next year.

I share this on the blog because all of my LLL2 sisters have this wooden tree structure too (a gift from my cousin Laura and myself during one of our monthly Live Laugh Love evenings) and often times we like to share with one another what we created from it.

My inspiration came from a gal on the http://www.happyhomeclubonline.com.

On our tree we placed many things...here's some of them:
~A Shepherd's Staff since He is the Good Shepherd
~A Donkey for the triumphal entry (Matthew 21)
~A Bottle of Perfume for when Mary anointed Jesus before the Passover (Mark 14)
~A Flat Bread Cracker to symbolize the unleavened break He broke…to remember His body (Matthew 26)
~A Cork from a wine bottle to symbolize what Jesus and his disciples drank at the last Supper…to remember his blood (Matthew 26)
~A Hershey's "Kiss" to symbolize the betrayal kiss from Judas to Jesus in the Garden
~A Bag of 30 Silver coins (dimes), the amount of money Judas agreed to take in trade of Jesus' identity...betrayal (Matthew 26)
~Soap since Pilot washed his hands of Jesus’ fate (Matthew 27:24)
~A Rope for the prisoner that was freed instead of Jesus (Matthew 27)
~A Feather to symbolize the rooster crowing three times
~Clipart of an Olive and Skull...location of this event (Matthew 27)
~A Purple Cloth that symbolizes the robe they made Him wear
~Chains
~A Nail since HE was nailed to the cross for our sins
~A Crown of Thorns the soldiers made for Him to wear as they mocked Him
~A Sponge that was dipped for Him on the cross as Jesus’ thirst (Matthew 27:48)
~A Dice for the lots the soldiers cast (Luke 23)
~A Lamb because He was the Lamb that was Slain
~A Sword (cocktail sword) that was used to pierce His side (Luke)
~A Tissue to symbolize the tears that were shed over His death
~A Sign that says, "This Is Jesus, King of the Jews" (Matthew 27:37)
~A Rock that was rolled away from the Tomb (Matthew 28)
~A White Cloth that they wrapped Jesus' body in to bury Him (Matthew 27:59)
~Cloves to symbolize the spices the women brought to anoint His dead body (Luke 24)
~A Happy Face to symbolize they joy that His death/resurrection has brought

If you have any other ideas on what I should consider adding next year, I'd love to hear it!

1 comment:

Denise said...

WOW! I love this idea! I will definatly do tis next year! Thank you for sharing!!!