Monday, March 10, 2008

Our Family Fun Night- We're Jumping with Excitement!



Tonight, out of our Family Fun Box we pulled my childhood favorite recess game, CHINESE JUMP ROPE. I've been looking forward to teaching it to the kids and was amazed at how quickly they caught on. I remember every recess chanting; “One, two, three, four, out, in, on,” as the jumper demonstrated their fancy footwork until they no longer could jump the height the rope had been raised to during the progression of their turn. (Kimberly, Lara, Leah, I’m sure you recall our countless hours we played this together, don’t you? We were so “good," or so we thought.)

I started out the night as the jumper and was quickly lacking oxygen (and felt like I had to run to the potty or wear a Depends from all the jumping…one downfall from delivering three kids I suspect). Baylee, Nathan, and even Owen immediately followed as the ‘jumper’ (without side effects), all doing a remarkable job. Tonight’s FAMILY FUN NIGHT (meeting and activity) was a lot of fun.

Is there anyone out there that loved playing Chinese Jump Rope too? Was ‘my’ pattern the same you followed?

5 comments:

Debbie Bower said...

I remember loving it but, couldn't tell you now, how to do it!

Sounds like you had a great time...

Rachel Olimb said...

I do remember spending a lot of hours playing this too. But, like Debbie, I couldn't tell you how it works. Shoot! You'll have to give me a demonstration sometime :).

Leah said...

I had forgotten about Chinese jump rope also. I do remember it being fun. I can empathize with the jumping issue. I have a hard time with the trampoline...I start jumping and then say, "I'll be right back." so I can go "potty" and I've only had one kid.

The Tepper Family said...

I absolutely LOVED playing Chinese jump rope too!!! I think we played it just the way you're playing it. Your family fun night idea has brought back such a rush of great school yard memories! Thank you!! I think we should play it at our next LLL meeting, don't you? =)
Blessings and love,
Yvette

The Kempiak Party of Five said...

I'll pull out the jumproap and you begin the jumping, my friend. I'll be right behind you at LLL2