Thursday, July 23, 2009

First Day of School

My third grader and first grader, Baylee and Nathan started school today {sigh}. I have to admit, there is NOT a solitary ounce in me that’s excited about it. I miss them. I miss their random hugs and kisses. I miss their voices, their noises, and their ‘presence’.

Ahhh, when is 4:00 going to be here for Owen, Zoe, Brinkley, and I to go get them?

Praise God that Baylee was so comfortable with heading into her class line because Nathan wasn’t once it came down to it. Quite a scene happened when the emotions he was holding inside couldn’t take it any longer and he grabbed onto me as it was time to walk into the class. He kept sobbing (loudly) saying, “I want to stay home one more day and snuggle with you more…” over and over again. All eyes were on us…and I mean ALL! Now tell me, how in the world is a mommy to walk away from her child’s heart and comments like that? Boy howdy…it was NOT an easy task and I absolutely hated (big word, I know) peeling sweet Nathan off of me. He’s in great hands at school with Kelly Runyon, I know. But ahhh, so sad, so so so very sad!

(Fast forward...The day’s hours seemed to be as slow as molasses pouring out of a bottle but finally 4:00 hit and Owen, Zoe, Brinkley, and I were finally able to see our two BIG KIDS. Baylee and Nathan jumped in the van with beet-red faces from the heat, big Kool-Aid grin smiles from a successful, fun day, and lots of stories to tell over the homemade cookies Owen and I had waiting especially for them.)


Like it or not, we’re back in the trenches of it all…school schedules, more drive time, earlier bedtimes, packing lunches, and yes…homework. Oh Lord, I better brace myself.

Summer 2009, we already miss you! Thanks for treating us so well. Here's to a wonderful school year, I just know it. God blessed us with our heart's desires.





No comments: