Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Prayer Hike


This morning I woke at 4AM to meet with five gals from my prayer group to hike Usery Mountain in Mesa. We vowed to one another that once we exited the car all the way until we returned to it again, we’d stay totally silent, not talking to one another at all. The task was challenging, yet so rewarding! Three hours of alone time with God was wonderful. As I first took route on the trail, I found myself asking Christ for things (“Bless this person, help this other one, and don’t forget so and so…”) until He spoke to me, “Kymberly…just enjoy me!” So from that step on, I just praised him for all his qualities, (“Lord, thank you for always being here for me, thank you for being an unchangeable God, I praise you for your justice and grace…”).

Once I hit the top of the mountain where the Wind Cave is located, Diane, our amazing prayer group leader, gave us an envelope to open. Inside was a lovely letter as if it was written by Christ. It started out, “Come away my beloved. You do not need to make your path like a snow plow, for I say unto you, I go before you. I shall engineer circumstances on your behalf. I am your husband, and I will protect you and care for you, and make full provision for you.

“I know your need, and I am concerned for you: for your peace, for your health, for your strength. I cannot use a tired body, and you need to take time to renew your energies, both spiritual and physical. I am the God of Battle, but I am also the One who said: They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. And Jesus said, Come apart and rest a little while.

“I will teach you even as I taught Moses on the back side of the desert, and as I taught Paul in Arabia. So will I teach you. Thus it shall be a constructive period, and not in any sense wasted time. But as the summer course to the school teacher, it is vital to you in order that you may fully be qualified for your ministry…” (more followed)

I sat, read the letter, and meditated on the words, read from my Bible, then found myself breaking out in song to him for the thirty minutes I sat there overlooking the valley and watching the sun shed its full light.

Coming down from the mountain, God have me another thought. With the full light upon the path, it was so much more beautiful than as I had headed up in some darkness. Isn’t that so true?! With Christ (He is the Light), you see things in such different perspective and beauty. Oh how we all need to see his Light!
I didn't miss talking or listening to others speak. I very rarely ever get to rest in silence, yet it’s in the silence when we can really hear loud and clear what God has to say to us!

No comments: